BOXING

‘Everything to lose and nothing to gain’ – Canelo Alvarez insists there’s no chance he will fight Terence Crawford

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Canelo Alvarez has ruled out a fight with Terence Crawford.

‘Bud’ has been loudly calling for an eagerly anticipated clash with Canelo since knocking out Errol Spence to become the undisputed welterweight champion in July 2023.

Fans have been talking up the potential meeting between two of boxing’s pound-for-pound best, despite the fact the super middleweight king is almost 20lbs heavier than Crawford.

JUST IN: Four proposed opponents for Wayne Rooney boxing debut after Misfits talks

Canelo Alvarez

Canelo recently revealed his next fight will take place on May 4 in Las Vegas.

The 33-year-old didn’t say who his opponent was but did claim it would be an American, leaving the door open for a potential scrap with Crawford.

However, he has now distanced himself from the fight entirely.

“No,” Canelo said when Box Azteca asked if he would fight Crawford.

Canelo’s interviewer pointed out that the Mexican superstar could make a lot of money by taking the fight, but he doesn’t think Crawford is worth the hassle.

He said: “Yes, but they’re going to criticise me… and that’s it, they love it.

“They criticised me because I fought [Jermell] Charlo who gained weight, who is bigger than me, because I’m a small fighter for these weights, and because he gained weight, but they didn’t criticise him when I went up in weight.

“So now if you imagine Crawford as a welterweight. 168lbs, I have everything to lose and nothing to gain because if I win, they’ll say, ‘Oh, he was too small, and everything!”

Jermall Charlo, the twin brother of Canelo’s most recent opponent, appears to be the frontrunner to face him next, but he has given mixed messages about the bout so far.

He recently took to his Instagram story where he shared a picture of the four-weight champion, with the caption reading: “Canelo fighting Jermall Charlo May 4.”

NEWS: “He Can Not Hit Hard”: Ryan Garcia Claims That Gervonta Davis Has No Power

Terence Crawford and Canelo Alvarez

After that, Charlo almost immediately poured cold water on the bout happening, as he took to social media again while on holiday in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Speaking to the camera while out on the sea, unbeaten Charlo, who outpointed Jose Benavidez Jr in November, told his fans: “I haven’t even talked to [manager] Al Haymon since I last fought.

“So everybody that keeps talking about, ‘Oh you’re about to fight Canelo,’ – ain’t no confirmation. I’m in the islands somewhere! You’ve got to chill out.”

He then insisted: “Until it’s official, it’s official. I offered. I said I would do whatever I gotta do. We was on the jet skis, I stopped for this.”

Despite the fact Charlo has tried to distance himself from a fight with Canelo, it seems to be just a matter of time before their clash is confirmed.

Especially after Alvarez ruled out Crawford as a potential opponent.

READ NEXT

Write A Comment